Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Knocked Up by Rebecca Eckler

Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother-to-be by Rebecca Eckler is a memoir of sorts. It was recommended to me by a fellow blogger and I thought that since I am pregnant again it would be perfect reading. Eckler is a journalist for the society pages when she finds out she is pregnant by her rich fiance, who lives in another town. This is completely unexpected and not necessarily good news. She professes to know NOTHING about pregnancy or her cycle, not even how often she should get her period. Her biggest concern is how fat she'll get and if the new intern will get her job because of how fat she gets. She doesn't really consider the baby at all except in terms of how it will inconvenience her.

Honestly, I wasn't impressed. (Sorry, Haley.) I thought she was awfully shallow. It seemed like she wanted to make a chick lit book out of her life, so she grossly exaggerated what she knew (or didn't know) or how she felt. I wouldn't have believed it in fiction, no way I can believe it in a memoir. The book was really fast to read, so I give it some credit for that. Overall, I'd say skip it.

Eckler did sue Universal Pictures over the movie Knocked Up, saying it was a rip-off of her book. I have not seen the movie, but the similarities seem to begin and end with the title, and an unexpected pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment! Whenever possible I reply to comments via email, so please leave an email address if you want a direct reply. Anonymous users, I'm sorry, but until you stop leaving spam, you can't comment.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP