Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Friday, May 01, 2015

Five Podcasts Mike and I Love


I am a huge fan of podcasts. So much so that I'm going to break this into more than one list. Do I have time to listen to them all? Of course not. And I'm continually test driving other ones to see if I want to add them to my ever growing list. Right now I am subscribed to 16 podcasts and I have two more  that I don't get updated to but I might want to revisit one day. You know that little red circle that tells you how many unlisted too episodes you have (or how many unread email you have)? I have 77 of those. It's ridiculous.  There's a reason some of them build up tho, see, some of the podcasts I listed to alone in the car, or while I'm sewing if the kids are otherwise occupied. And some of them I save up to listen to in the car with Mike. Those tend to build up, as we don't take THAT many roadtrips. Those are the ones I'm going to share some of today, the ones that are interesting enough that we both enjoy them.


1. Freakonomics Radio. We both read and enjoyed the book Freakonomics and this just continues along that line. There was a good stretch of boring episodes when their last book was released, but otherwise this is consistently good. Episodes range from 35-45 minutes, usually.


2. Sawbones: A Marital Tour of Misguided Medicine. (On Facebook) This one is hosted by a married couple, a doctor and her husband, as they discuss all the misguided theories and treatments of medicine in history. Nearly every episode is interesting, and most have very funny moments. I am not a fan of the live shows, but the rest are good. (I'm never a fan of live shows.  This is the only exception I've ever found.) Episodes tend to be between 30 minutes and an hour long, most falling in the middle.


3. NPR's Planet Money: The Economy Explained. The first episode I listened to was about the price of roses, and specifically the price of roses at Valentine's Day. It was completely fascinating. Most episodes are under 20 minutes.


4. NPR's How to Do Everything. This is an interesting mix of advice, how-to, and information. How to find a date. The best exercise program. How to celebrate without getting sick. How to get published in the New York Times. Episodes are under 20 minutes.


5. Serial. If you haven't heard of Serial I can't help you. I remain subscribed, waiting patiently for the day that there are more episodes.


I've also recently started listening to NPR's Ted Radio Hour and I suspect Mike will enjoy that as well.

Other types of podcasts that I'll (hopefully) be listing soon are "Podcasts I listen to alone" and "Bookish Podcasts" but I am always open to more suggestions.

Do you listen to podcasts? Which ones can you recommend? Have you listened to any of these?

2 comments:

  1. OMG, Sawbones sounds AMAZING! I need to tell Heather about this if she doesn't already know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one podcast I faithfully listen to is Books on the Nightstand. I am trying to listen to an audiobook right now but this is new territory for me. I am not a very good listener, apparently, and find myself daydreaming while I drive instead of listening.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment! Whenever possible I reply to comments via email, so please leave an email address if you want a direct reply. Anonymous users, I'm sorry, but until you stop leaving spam, you can't comment.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP