Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Eva's Reading Meme

I saw this over at A Striped Armchair and thought it would be a fun meme to think about.

Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews? Wicked by Gregory Maguire. Everyone loved it except one reviewer who was scandalized by something "immoral" on the first page (perhaps the first chapter? I don't remember.) My best friend and her husband loved it. I have it in my 2008 TBR list, hopefully I'll get to it this year.

If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be? Ranger from Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels. Babe. Eric from Charlaine Harris's Dead to the World. And Roarke from J.D. Robb's In Death series. Oh come on, tell me you wouldn't want to be in the room with any ONE of them!

(Borrowing shamelessly from the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde): you are told you can’t die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realise it’s past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave? The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne. I think this is the only book I've ever gone to the teacher/ professor and said I just couldn't read, could I please be assigned something else.

Come on, we’ve all been there. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you’ve read, when in fact you’ve been nowhere near it? I don't know that I've ever outright lied about having read something. I may have said I'd read Faulkner based on reading part of Go Down, Moses in 11th grade English. We weren't required to read the whole thing, so I didn't.

As an addition to the last question, has there been a book that you really thought you had read, only to realise when you read a review about it/go to ‘reread’ it that you haven’t? Which book? I really can't think of anything that fits this one.

You’re interviewing for the post of Official Book Advisor to some VIP (who’s not a big reader). What’s the first book you’d recommend and why? (if you feel like you’d have to know the person, go ahead of personalise the VIP) This is hard because recent books spring to mind so much more readily. If I didn't know the VIP, I'd probably recommend Harry Potter since it's one of the few books that seems to span all reading interests. Maybe Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock since I love seeing the reaction to that one. And I did just love The Time Traveler's Wife, but I can't see it appealing to many men.


A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with? Is it cheating to say Italian because I am dying to be able to speak Italian? I don't actually know of any Italian literature.

A mischievious fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick? The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. For a while there I was reading it every year anyway. I think it will be the first real book I try to read along to the Monkey, even though I know he won't get it.

I know that the book blogging community, and its various challenges, have pushed my reading borders. What’s one bookish thing you ‘discovered’ from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art-anything)? I've discovered that I don't ever complete a challenge. I've also (like Eva) discovered YA fiction. So much of it is very similar to adult fiction, except for the age of the characters.

That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she’s granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leatherbound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favourite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead-let your imagination run free. It would have to be huge with lots of shelves, but not necessarily the old wooden shelves with the ladder. I'd want a squishy couch and couple different style chairs, and little tables on each side of each of them. Plus a coffee table. And a coffee maker and a mini-fridge. A couple of cats. The books would be a little bit of everything, but would be organized by subject and author. There would be a magic spell on it that made everyone who entered instantly talk in a quiet tone, and NO ONE would be forced to be a pirate. In fact, even the smallest of children would discover a need to sit down and read and there would be a corner of the room filled with the best picture books (the ones that mom is just too cheap to buy) and bean bag chairs of lounging.

And now, let’s say everyone has to tag four people (more than that becomes a hassle, imho)
I'm going to tag the other bloggers at my other blog- We'd Rather Read, plus Trish, NOLADawn and Jill.

And just to prove it, I’m (Eva's) going to bribe you…if you leave a comment letting me know you’ve done the meme with a link to the post, I’ll give you some link love via a big list on this post of who’s participated. If in that post, you link back to this one, I’ll also enter you in a drawing to win my ARC of The House at Riverton (see my review below). If you’re an American, this is especially exciting since it isn’t going to published until April. To be in the drawing, you must have posted the meme (and commented here) by February 5th, which is when I’m holding the drawing (it’s also my niece’s second birthday!).

18 comments:

  1. Goodness gracious this is a long one. I'm about to leave for a business trip, but I'll check it out when I get back...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your answers! I had to giggle at the spell w/ hushing and pirates, lol. The Little Prince is such a beautiful book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will do it this weekend when I have a moment... gotta think about this one :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one looks fun to me too! I'll try to get to it soon!

    Love your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for picking me for this meme. I completed it - check it out when you have a second!

    http://mrstreme.livejournal.com/30772.html

    =) Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't like Wicked either. I forced myself to finish it and I wasn't all that satisfied when it was over. The musical is way better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got my answers up now if you'd like to hop on over!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this and it's interesting. I would never have thought about some of this stuff. Anyway, I did answer the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH! I've also spread this around on a couple of Yahoo! Groups I'm in. It's going to be fun to see how some of the people answer the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read Wicked and wished I hadn't wasted my time. I don't know if I missed something, or what! I am so glad that someone else besides me would want a fridge in their library!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! This was a fun meme! Here's mine: http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, Roarke and Ranger. I'm giddy just thinking about that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A coffee maker! I must add a coffee maker to my library.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You haven't heard of any Italian literature? *gasp* :(.

    Please consider putting something by Italo Calvino, preferably If on a winter's night a traveller or Invisible Cities, on your TBR list :).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I created an etsy user id today and I used you as a referral...or at least I meant to, but I left the M out of your name.

    Maybe I'll have an option to edit that when I click my registration confirmation.

    Maybe they'll send you a ham or something for the referral. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lisa - I just tagged you for the Make My Day award. Come and see:

    http://mrstreme.livejournal.com/31843.html

    =) Jill

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lisa - I just saw the catch about Feb 5th today while I was working on this. Here is a link:

    http://trishsbooks.blogspot.com/2008/02/reading-meme.html

    Sorry its not in a fancy link button thingy. :) Had fun with this one, although some of them were hard!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another suggestion for Italian literature:

    The Decameron, by Giovanni Boccaccio

    The premise is similar to Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, but set in Italy during The Plague.

    Thick, but good stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment! Whenever possible I reply to comments via email, so please leave an email address if you want a direct reply. Anonymous users, I'm sorry, but until you stop leaving spam, you can't comment.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP