Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Recent reading, three unrelated

Calculated in Death by JD Robb. I read this one several weeks ago and as I sat here to blog it I had a really hard time remembering any aspects of the actual murder. Much of the plot is full of details of the upcoming movie premier which has dominated the last few books in the series. I did eventually wind my way around to the rest and have to say that I enjoyed that it was a timeless situation and not something futuristic. These are really great for getting me reading during a slump or a busy week, but are otherwise not memorable.

Sunrise Song by Kathleen Eagle. I requested this one from NetGalley for several reasons. First because Kathleen Eagle is Ruth Wind, who wrote my all time favorite romance In the Midnight Rain. Then becauses it takes place right here in South Dakota. It's not common to find books set in South Dakota. It turns out that this is a reprint (rerelease?) from 1996 but one that I had not read. To be honest, I struggled a bit with this one. Eagle's books are very heavy books with a big emphasis on race relations. Sometimes this works for me and sometimes I just want to get on with the romance. Additionally, since this was in the 1970s, the scenes in Rapid City weren't in the Rapid City I know. In the end, I wanted to love it more than I did.

Country Music Broke My Brain by Gerry House. If I'd have known more about this one or been paying more attention I probably would not have requested it. First of all, it's by a radio personality and if there is one single group of people I find uniformly annoying, it is radio hosts. Specifically morning show-celebrity gossip- stupid stunt-not as funny as they think they are hosts. (I don't mind things like NPR where it's actual news and interviews, but I'd rather drive in a car full of cats than listen to Bob and Tom.) Then, the book turns out to be five dozen short chapters about various stars, which is more gossipy than I really enjoy. I admit to skimming a large portion of it. I think I was expecting something completely different. If you are a fan of celebrity gossip or country music you would probably really enjoy this. I had to fight my annoyance.

 

5 comments:

  1. oh god, I love that you'd rather drive in a car full of cats than listen to Bob & Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom loves country music and celebrity gossip so I bet she'd love Country Music Broke My Brain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so beyond behind with J.D. Robb! I really should get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never gotten into the J.D. Robb books. I think I read one ages ago but never picked up another. Definitely will give the Country Music book a miss though I do love the car full of cats analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the car full of cats...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment! Whenever possible I reply to comments via email, so please leave an email address if you want a direct reply. Anonymous users, I'm sorry, but until you stop leaving spam, you can't comment.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP