Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Monday, April 27, 2015

Recent Reading, Non-fiction.

Non-romance reading friends, you do not have to look away! Last week, and for the near future, it's all non-fiction around these parts.

I started with The Real Doctor Will See You Shortly by Matt McCarthy. This was a spur of the moment choice from NetGalley, and fairly interesting. McCarthy recounts his intern year as a doctor and the complete change from feeling like a unprepared novice to being ready to supervise interns of his own. He is brutally honest about how incredibly competitive and overwhelming it is, and how it's easy to rollercoaster from feeling too much for a patient (no, not like that!) to closing yourself off completely from emotion. McCarthy writes in such a way as to make the reader realize just how stressful it is, and just how human doctors are. I wouldn't call this a favorite, but it's definitely worth the time.

The Kazdin Method for Parenting the Defiant Child by Alan Kazdin.  This is a library book, and as you might imagine, I am not reading it for fun. We are struggling with some on-going (and on and on and on) issues that try as we might we can not seem to change. We have tried ALL the suggestions. Yes, all of them. Now we're reading books.


The Smartest Kids in the World and How They Got That Way by Amanda Ripley. This is our next book club pick and while I'm not technically reading it YET, I'm hoping to start it soon. Janssen assumes me that it is terrific, and she has rarely steered me wrong.

Waiting in the wings, non-fiction wise:
Forensics by Val McDermid
Head Case by Cole Cohen
Happier by Habit by Gretchen Rubin
The Misfit Economy by Alexa Clay
Leave Your Mark by Aliza Licht
A Bone to Pick by Mark Bittman
Natural Born Heroes by Christopher McDougall (Mike is reading this now, I can't wait to get my turn.)


What non-fiction have you read lately?

4 comments:

  1. I'm kind of over the medical profession so would like to read The Real Doctor Will See You Now to see things from their side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for non-fiction! Oh lordy, I wish someone would have helped me with my defiant child (who are we kidding, we had TWO of them!). Stick with it - my best advice is to make sure you agree how your approach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, interesting selection of non-fiction. I always say that I'd like to read more non-fic. The book about smart children sounds fascinating. The only two non fiction books I've read this year have been This Book Is Gay by James Dawson and True Face by Siobhan Curham, both of which were really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with Janssen. The Smartest Kids in the World is a fantastic book! I just finished Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson. Loved it. I also loved The Real Doctor Will See You Shortly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment! Whenever possible I reply to comments via email, so please leave an email address if you want a direct reply. Anonymous users, I'm sorry, but until you stop leaving spam, you can't comment.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP