- I often feel like I'm beating a dead horse in my efforts to get people to give romance novels a fair chance. I get it, not everyone loves a good romance, but I'd at least like to see the scorn and judgement stop. This is especially true for people who have never even cracked a romance open. It's like saying you hate romantic movies because you thought Pretty Woman was stupid even tho you really love The Princess Bride. Both of those are romantic, both have a couple who overcome obstacles to end up together. They are completely different, of course, but both have a happy ending for the couple. This is a great post by romance author Kristin Higgins about that very thing.
"Romance encompasses fantasy, suspense, comedy, history, mystery, coming-of-age, and crime. The only difference between romance and just about any other kind of fiction is the promise of an emotionally satisfying ending."
- My baby girl's 5th birthday party is tomorrow. Because it's so close to the start of Kindergarten, and she doesn't actually know anyone yet, we invited all the girls in her class. So far, not ONE person has RSVP'd either way. I have no idea what to prepare her for, and no way to contact any of the parents, and guys, she's gonna be SO heartbroken if at least some of them don't show up.
- This morning when I got into my car I discovered, juuuuust in the nick of time, that a very large spider had built a very large web across the inside of the door. By which I mean the part you climb through to sit in the driver's seat. I might have to firebomb my car.
- Tristan is playing football this year. He is not a sporty kid at all but he was interested and Mike was all for it. He's very excited.
- Last weekend I went for a run on this trail. It was lots of quick ups and downs, and in many places really soft sand covered with cut grasses. (The Park service maintains it as far as knocking down the new growth, but that's it.) It was a lot of fun, and also really slow. I mostly run on wide, packed gravel trails, so it made me a tiny bit nervous to run on the loose sand. Five more long runs before my half marathon! I've been working on practicing my hill form, since a lot of the half is hills. I worry that my flat trails have spoiled me.
What's on your mind today?