Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling


THIS POST CONTAINS NO SPOILERS

I can't believe it's over. I read the first Harry Potter in 1999. I was 24 years old. Now it's 8 years later and finally the adventure is over.

On Friday night we met most of my in-laws in Pierre, SD for a fishing/boating trip. My husband went to Wal-mart (the only place open and selling HP at midnight) and bought our copies. We bought one for each of us, as neither of us were willing to be the second one to read it. He read 100 pages or so that night, I read some Saturday morning while he was out fishing, but neither of us got very far until we got home on Sunday. From that point on we pretty much just sat on our respective couches reading. (What about the Monkey, you might ask? Well the Monkey had a grand time eating whatever he wanted, watching whatever he wanted on tv, and making huge messes of his toys. It was a vacation for him too!) We sped through the books only looking up to say "What page are you on? What about NOW? Now? What about now?" Fortunately we read at about the same rate. We finished within a few minutes of each other, and it could not have been a more perfect way to read The End.

How do I feel about the book? I loved it. I thought it was a great ending to a long adventure. I can't think of any loose ends that weren't addressed. I was able to predict a few things, but got some others completely wrong (thankfully!) Harry, Ron and Hermione have come a long way since 1999, and I thought they had finally grown up and proved themselves.

In interest of spoilers (because I do NOT want to be the person who spoils it for you) I am posting my spoiler thoughts here. If you wish to comment on them, please do so there.

I don't know what could possibly followup Harry Potter. I can't imagine any other series every being as a well loved as to have such a release. I hope to see another, but Harry will always be the standard, I think.

3 comments:

  1. Great review!

    I've nominated you for Rockin' Girl Blogger--come by and see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your husband read this pretty much the same way my husband and I did. We compared notes on where we were all the way through, and he finished about an hour before I did on Sunday night.

    I was quite satisfied overall with how things wrapped up, but I still hate that it's really all over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came by to tell you that I have tagged you for the Blogging Tips Meme, which actually has some helpful blogging tips we can all use. I hope you have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment! Whenever possible I reply to comments via email, so please leave an email address if you want a direct reply. Anonymous users, I'm sorry, but until you stop leaving spam, you can't comment.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP