Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Sunday, September 09, 2007

The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart


As we have already established, I really enjoy Brotherhood 2.0. Several weeks ago for John's birthday, several YA author friends of his made him a birthday video. Yesterday I took the Monkey to the library, and while I was there picked up books by most of those writers- Maureen Johnson (though I already read 13 Little Blue Envelopes), E. Lockhart, Libby Bray, and I already own (but have not read) a Scott Westerfield. I read a David Levithan a few weeks ago. I also had An Abundance of Katherines by John Green waiting on hold for me.

I started with The Boyfriend List because it looked fast and I was feeling the need to boost my stats. It does turn out to be a quick little book. The cover says "(15 guys, 11 shrink appointments, 4 ceramic frogs and me, ruby oliver") and that's pretty much the premise. After an exceptionally tough week, Ruby starts seeing a shrink who has her make a list of every boyfriend, or near boyfriend, or rumored boyfriend, or boy she kinda liked, ever. The book is about what she learns about herself while talking about the list to the shrink. It's a cute book, but definately not the best YA I've read this year. There are footnotes from Ruby to the reader all through the book, and I found them really distracting. It looks like there is a sequel to it called The Boy Book, which is a book mentioned in The Boyfriend List. If it's on the shelf at the library I'll probably check it out, but I don't know that I'd pay for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment! Whenever possible I reply to comments via email, so please leave an email address if you want a direct reply. Anonymous users, I'm sorry, but until you stop leaving spam, you can't comment.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP