Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

Shutter Island: A NovelShutter Island: A Novel by Dennis Lehane.

I'm sure most of you saw the previews for the move Shutter Island, right? Looked super creepy?   I don't see a lot of movies (hi, understatement of the year) but was vaguely interested in this one. I knew it was from a book, but reading the book didn't really get my attention until I saw this review at Sam's Book Blog. I put a hold on it at the library and when it came in I read it within the week.

Here's what the summary says:
"U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels has come to Shutter Island, home of Ashecliffe Hospital for the Criminally Insane. Along with his partner, Chuck Aule, he sets out to find an escaped patient, a murderess named Rachel Solando, as a hurricane bears down upon them.


But nothing at Ashecliffe Hospital is what it seems.

And neither is Teddy Daniels."

Sounds interesting, right? Well, it was. I read it over the course of three days, in two sittings. The book keeps you wondering what's going on right up until the very end. It's creepy and compelling and sucks you in all the way. Perhaps it's because I don't read a lot of this type of book (I doubt it), but I didn't find any loopholes or problems with the mystery aspect of the plot. (Not a mystery mystery, but in a suspense-y way.)  After you finish you can see the foreshadowing for what it is, and it's there, but while you're reading it... oh just go read it! I don't want to say too much, because I want the ending to be as powerful for you as it was for me. I am definitely going to pick up some of Lehane's other titles on my next trip to the library.


Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
William Morrow
2003
336 pages




I am an Amazon Associate. As such, any purchase you make at Amazon.com after following a link from this blog will earn me a (tiny) percentage back as income. Thanks.

6 comments:

  1. I'm listening to this one now, thanks to sandy at You've Gotta Read This...she convinced me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this since I enjoyed Mystic River so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got me. Adding onother one to my very long list. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been on my to-read list for a really long time. It's not a genre that I read often so it may be awhile before I get to it, but I do want to read it.

    Page-turners are good when you are traveling. That's usually when I read them but I haven't traveled in awhile either so there you go ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I didn't even know this one was a book. I loved Lehane's Mystic River (and I don't read a lot of thrillers). Going to have to check this out, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It doesn't sound like the book for me, but maybe one for N..

    I'd probably like the movie though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment! Whenever possible I reply to comments via email, so please leave an email address if you want a direct reply. Anonymous users, I'm sorry, but until you stop leaving spam, you can't comment.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP