Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Mommies Say Shhh! by Patricia Polacco- highly recommended!

Mommies Say Shh!Mommies Say Shh! by Patricia Polacco

I don't usually review little kid books on my blog, even though I certainly read enough of them, but this one is just so charming and sweet that I have to recommend it. The Bug found it in the board book section of the library and we've read it 458 times since then, roughly. I would have expected it to be just a little too young for him (he knows all the Star Wars characters, after all), but he is just as enchanted as I am.

On the surface, it's just a book of animal sounds, but the pictures are charming and the text has a little rhythm and humor to it that make it just that much better. The kids are clearly from another era, with bonnets and wagons and knitting needles. The pictures aren't perfect, almost sketches in parts, but it's just, well, charming. (Turns out it's hard to say a lot about a board book.)

This is the book that I want to tuck into every baby gift I give. I highly recommend that you add it to your library as well.

Mommies Say Shhh 
by Patricia Polacco
Philomel
2007
Board Book
Source: Library

I am an Amazon Associate. As such, any purchase you make at Amazon.com after following a link from this blog will earn me a (tiny) percentage back as income. Thanks. All content copy write Books. Lists. Life. at http://bookslistslife.blogspot.com. If you're reading this post anywhere other than there, you are reading stolen content.

5 comments:

  1. It is hard to say much about a board book, but your enthusiasm for this one shows in your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this as a picture book in my library and love reading it to pre-k and kinder students. I love Polacco's work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I will try to find this to give for a Christmas present.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a lot of Patricia Polacco books in my house when the kids were little; love her!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment! Whenever possible I reply to comments via email, so please leave an email address if you want a direct reply. Anonymous users, I'm sorry, but until you stop leaving spam, you can't comment.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP