Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Friday, December 28, 2012

The Big News, and other stuff.

The artist at her easel.

  • After working in lumberyard retail for his entire life, Mike has taken a new job working for the state of South Dakota with the SD Housing Development Authority. This was a hugely stressful decision, because while the new job offers a ton of terrific benefits, and a 40 hour work week (as opposed to his typical 60-70 hour weeks), it also includes a pay cut. Enough of a pay cut that I am actively looking for a job myself. I am really hoping to find a job in one of the schools, or a state job, so that we have the same work schedule. 
  • I have really enjoyed my two years home with the Princess, but in a way it's almost a relief to go back to work. One reason- I'll feel justified in taking down time. Not that I don't take it now, but there's always this niggling feeling of guilt about it, like I should be up cleaning or something to earn my keep. The two little ones will go to daycare until this fall, when the Bug will be in Kindergarten.
  • In other big news, we're hoping to move into our new house by the end of January. I should really be packing instead of typing, eek.
  • Christmas was mostly lovely. We take a much more lowkey approach to Christmas than many of our family and friends. Each of the kids had four gifts to open (including Santa), plus stockings, which only had a small bit of candy and some crayons and tiny coloring books. We only exchange names one on one with Mike's family and not at all with mine, so only one gift from Grandpa and one from a cousin. That's it. No overwhelming piles, no hours long opening, no money extravaganza. It is lovely and peaceful. My kids don't realize that other kids get piles of loot. I'd like it to stay that way a long as possible.
  •  I am doing my best to enjoy this last time home with the little ones before I return to work, and have been largely offline this week. I still check email and facebook on my phone, and check in elsewhere a couple times a day, but I am also spending hours on the couch with them and reading books as well. It's been nice, and it makes the time I do spend online feel much more productive.
What I Read This Week:
  • A Most Scandalous Proposal by Ashlyn Macnamara. This one isn't released until later this winter, but I got a copy through Net Galley. A really terrific romance, but I wish it had been two books instead of one. I'll write a full review later this week.

  • Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things by Randy O. Frost and Gail Steketee. Only about half done. Interesting, but maybe not quite enough for an entire book.
  • Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy) by Leigh Bardugo. Peasant era Russia, a magic army, flesh eating vultures, great dialogue. I read about 100 pages in one sitting last night. I'm really enjoying it a lot, but already wonder how she can write a satisfying ending with the pace she's setting. If you are at all interested, and you should be, you can get the first five chapters for free for Kindle here: Shadow and Bone: Chapters 1-5
     

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Mike! I have a feeling the new job will be wonderful for your family! It's nice to see someone's keeping Christmas in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to your husband Lisa. It'll be nice for you to have more family time together.

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I hope that the new job changes will all work out perfectly for your family. Enjoy your family time! I totally understand about feeling guilty about my down time as a stay at home mom. Nice to know I'm not the only one. Shadow and Bone I think is going to be a trilogy so it's not really going to "end" per se but I LOVED it. I want to know where she takes the story in the upcoming books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to Mike on the new job! Even though it will mean you have to return to work, it will be wonderful for him to be able to spend all of that extra time with his family. Sounds like your Christmas was perfect. I'd love to figure out how to make ours less stressful - I must admit that I didn't altogether mind the year we got snowed in Omaha and had three days to ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited for youuuuu all! I know it's been stressful decision making but y'all are gonna be so much happier. I hope there's balance and joy all around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to Mike. Please do not feel guilty about staying home with your children. Taking care of them is really your number one priority.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to Mike for his new job, and I hope that despite the pay cut, having him around more will be good for the whole family. I hope you are able to find a job in the area you want too. I hope the rest of your holidays are lovely, and good luck packing for the move.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to Mike on his new job. I hope it works out well for him. And good luck to you with finding a job! It will be an adjustment for all of you, but I am sure it will all work out. Good luck with the move too! I so hate moving. Ugh.

    Your Christmas sounds so perfect. I am glad you all had a nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great news. I think having more time with the family trumps more pay (any day!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow so many big changes for you guys this year. Congrats and I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even though I'm sad no OKC, I'm excited for your family and the changes--especially the house!!! And I know what you mean about the housekeeping v downtime. I really struggled with that when I was at home (ahem for 3 months). My stay-at-home moms also struggle with it. As if being a stay-at-home mom ISN'T A 24 HOUR JOB.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment! Whenever possible I reply to comments via email, so please leave an email address if you want a direct reply. Anonymous users, I'm sorry, but until you stop leaving spam, you can't comment.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP