Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Bittersweet Father's Day


My father-in-law passed away last Saturday, so today is an awfully sad day for my family. Don was a terrific dad and the absolute best grandfather it was possible to be.  It was an incredibly tough week, not the least of all for having to teach a 5 year old what death really means ("I just want my grandpa to get up and walk." "I am very angry at God." Ouch.)  Mike has now lost both his parents to cancer, both within 2 months of diagnosis.  I am alternately sad and incredibly angry about it. (Not at God, but at my own father, who doesn't seem to want to be a grandfather. This is what we're left with? Really?)


Anyway, hug your fathers close, and take lots of pictures, even if they don't want to.  Don't worry about what you're wearing or how your hair looks or if you need to lose weight, just take pictures so later your kids can look through them for the happy times. Don didn't mind pictures, so long as someone remembered to take out a camera. All the pictures of my husband and his siblings with him as children are priceless. Sadly, there are no pictures of him and the Princess alone. (One of the above is the Bug, and one is the Pirate. Have you been reading my blog long enough to know which is which?)

We're back home now, and it doesn't seem quite believable from here. Everyday life goes on, and every once in a while it hits you what's going to be different.  Don never hesitated to make me feel like a member of the family, and never treated any of the in-laws any differently than he did his own kids.  I can't claim that I'll miss him as much as Mike does (not that it's a competition), but it's certainly left a giant hole for us all.  Father's Day is going to be tough, and I can selfishly say that I am thankful that the funeral didn't fall on my birthday. He was a great man, and he's going to be greatly missed.


You can read his obituary here, if you're interested.

13 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear this, Lisa. You've written a beautiful post here, though. It looks like you all will have lots of good memories. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. Of course today is going to be hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my heart breaks for you all. My dad passed away 2 and a half years ago and I still miss him terribly. I was in the grocery store yesterday and noticed everyone seemed to be getting ready for Father's Day and it made me teary-eyed. I'm sending thoughts and prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, so sorry to hear about your father in law. This Father's Day has been a bit different for me as well. We had to put my dad in a home because his dementia has progressed quickly. I should go and visit him yet today, but he doesn't recognize me so it isn't the most fun thing to do.
    Thinking of you today especially.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sad post Lisa. It is tough to lose those we love who have impacted the lives of many.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm really sorry, too. i miss my dad every day, and it breaks my heart that one kid never knew him and the other barely remembers him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear about this. What a sad time for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear about your father in law. Your family is in my prayers *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Lisa, I'm so very sorry for your family - for Mike who has had to lose both parents, for you who has lost a man who meant so very much to you, and for your kids who won't get to have more time with such a wonderful man. Jeff has lost both of his parents to cancer; such a terrible, terrible disease to take these people we love so much away from us. Know that you will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh so sorry to hear about this. How awesome is it though that they will always have those pictures and memories and know that they had a grandpa who loved them. My husband and I both lost our fathers 10-15 years ago and I still mourn sometimes that my kids will never have grandpas to love and spoil them. My heart goes out to you and your family. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa; I'm so sorry to hear this. He sounds like he was an amazing man with a true "heart of gold." Hug your husband. It is so difficult to lose our parents. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so so sorry for your loss, Lisa. Don sounds like an amazing guy. .. how lucky for all of you to have each other. Thinking of you guys. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment! Whenever possible I reply to comments via email, so please leave an email address if you want a direct reply. Anonymous users, I'm sorry, but until you stop leaving spam, you can't comment.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP