Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Friday, September 04, 2015

Five (more) things about Running OR Dear God woman, enough about running already!


1. Jenny Rosenstrach, author of Dinner: A Love Story, which I loved, wrote this terrific post about why she runs. She talks about Haruki Murakami's What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. I have GOT to read that book!

2.  I ran 66.12 miles last month. I have no idea how that compares to most people training for a half marathon, but it feels far to me. I've run 120 miles since I got my Garmin on June 26th. That's just crazy. The Crazy Horse Half Marathon is one month from tomorrow. Lucky you, I probably will shut up about running for a while once it's over.

3. I've decided to start the 30 Day Yoga Challenge with Yoga with Adriene. If I start this evening I'll finish up the day before my half. Anyone want to sign up with me and be my accountability buddy? (Note: I'm starting Thursday evening, as I write this post.)  Most of the videos are under 20 minutes.

4. You may recall that last year I injured my knee after my 10 mile run. I'm pretty confident that I've trained carefully enough this year that I'm not going to injure myself. I've now done a 10.1 and two weeks after that an 11 mile run with no problems. I'm supposed to do 12 this weekend. Eek.

5. I've been listening to Cheryl Stray'd Wild on my runs for a while now. I'm maybe 2/3 of the way done. It's not that it's super long, but it takes a while when you only listen on runs. I'm enjoying it a lot, but I'm still waiting for all the scandalous s-e-x she supposedly has. Maybe I got the abridged version?  In any case, reviews seem to be at one extreme or the other, with very few people landing in the middle. I read a handful of good and bad reviews on Goodreads, and while I don't see myself praising it as a masterpiece, I can't actually recognize the book I'm listening to in some of the 1 star rants. (That is, I CAN, it's clearly this book, but it's like we're reading two totally different accounts of it.)

2 comments:

  1. For a while there I was doing very short runs doing my walks (short, as in ten minutes!). I need to, at the very least, get back to that! I've had What I Talk About When I Talk About Running on my TBR list since forever. I have it in both audio and ebook version, so I really have very little excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It amazes me how many people HATE Wild! I was the only one in my book club who liked it. It still baffles me. They thought she was whiney and stupid. I said, well she was in her early 20s and they often are whiney and stupid. :)

    That said, I think there's really only one time she has s-e-x? I think it was more the fact that she carried those condoms around with her and talked about her sordid past? I should have bought the ebook when it was on sale.

    66 miles is AMAZING. you are awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment! Whenever possible I reply to comments via email, so please leave an email address if you want a direct reply. Anonymous users, I'm sorry, but until you stop leaving spam, you can't comment.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP