Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Friday, April 27, 2007

It's Friday, it's Friday!

It's finally Friday. It's been a very very long week at work, and today had promise of being super-sucky. So it was with mixed feelings that I had to call in sick (ok, call in late) to work with a sick child. Really! His fever was at 103 and there were disgusting things happening. So I'm home this morning and my husband will be home with the monkey this afternoon. And the monkey? Thrilled to be home with mom.

Here's a few little bits of stuff, none of which is quite enough for a full post.

First, do you watch American Idol? Have you been to Television without Pity to read the recaps? I about died laughing at the recaplet of this weeks results show. I can't wait for the full one.

A few weeks ago Michelle at 3M pointed out that I have all the ingredients to complete the Reading Through the Decades Challenge without adding any more books! So I'm headed over now to officially sign up.

And speaking of 3M, a month ago (or more, who can keep track of time any more?) she nominated me for the Thinking Blogger Award. This is an "award" that you give to 5 people whose blogs make you think. Then you link back to the originator of the award with a nice looking icon. I LOVE the idea of this, that you're singling out some blogs that you love, and in turn those people acknowledge 5 more. Here's the catch though- every time someone goes back to the originator he gets clicks, and his site has advertising. I am a bit cynical, and well, to me it seems a little bit like a very well thought out way to get thousands and thousands of visitors to click on your site. I am torn though, as I am honestly thrilled that I made someone's list. I want to continue it, I want to list five people that make me think, that I enjoy, but I don't want to link back. So I'm not. Here's my five blogs:
  1. Mary Elizabeth William's neighborhood
  2. Journeywoman
  3. Maggie Reads
  4. Random Musings
  5. one plus two
And speaking of Maggie Reads, I still need to pick my choices for the Southern Reading Challenge- I had intended to do that now when I started this post, but got drawn into all the choices. The challenge doesn't start until June 1st, so I'll come back to it later.

Next, a friend emailed me a link to StandingWomen.org today. You can follow that link to read more of the background, but here the action part:
Please stand with us for five minutes of silence at 1 p.m. your local time on May 13, 2007, in your local park, school yard, gathering place, or any place you deem appropriate, to signify your agreement with the statement below. We ask you to invite the men who you care about to join you. We ask that you bring bells to ring at 1 p.m. to signify the beginning of the five minutes of silence and to ring again to signify the end of the period of silence. During the silence, please think about what you individually and we collectively can do to attain this world. If you need to sit rather than stand, please feel free to do so. Afterwards, hopefully you and your loved ones can talk together about how we can bring about this world.

If you are in Rapid City, South Dakota (as I am) the stand-in (stand-off? moment of silence? big event? bell ringing?) will take place at the Memorial Park Rose Garden by the Civic Center. This is on a Sunday, Mother's Day.

The only book I've completed lately was Plum Lovin' by Janet Evanovich. It was very short, and very typical Stephanie Plum. I did enjoy the book, but Morelli and Ranger were both absent, so it was not a favorite. I am glad that I did not pay for it (I got it from paperbackswap and have already mailed it on!)

This weekend will either be crazy busy with family stuff, including at least 8 hours in the car, or crazy sucky with a sick baby. Either way, I'm hoping for lots of reading time. I'm 30 pages from the end of my current book, and have big plans for others.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the Thinking Blogger award!

    I do watch Idol, but haven't seen that online recap. This week was different, with the big charity push.

    Hope your child gets to feeling better soon :)

    And lastly, I picked up Plum Lovin at the library two days ago, and read it in one afternoon (yesterday). Good, easy, light read, just like a good Stephanie Plum book should be. I agree about missing Morelli and Ranger, but Diesel was ok :) It was sort of cute to see her do the matchmaker thing more than the bounty hunter thing!

    Hope you have a great weekend, and everyone feels tons better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm honored! Thanks!

    Oh, and Television Without Pity is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering whether to buy Plum Lovin or not. Thanks for the reading tip.

    Video book reviews worth checking out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, shucks! Thanks for the nomination! I also look forward to your book list for SRC! ;D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment! Whenever possible I reply to comments via email, so please leave an email address if you want a direct reply. Anonymous users, I'm sorry, but until you stop leaving spam, you can't comment.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP