Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Carpe Demon by Julie Kenner


I'm on a roll! I persevered and finished another challenge book today. This one was Carpe Demon: Confessions of a Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom by Julie Kenner.

Here's Amazon.com's summary:

Lots of women put their careers aside once the kids come along. Kate Connor, for instance, hasn't hunted a demon in ages.

That must be why she missed the one wandering through the pet food aisle of the San Diablo Wal-Mart. Unfortunately, he managed to catch her attention an hour later-when he crashed into the Connor house, intent on killing her.

Now Kate has to clean up the mess in her kitchen, dispose of a dead demon, and pull together a dinner party that will get her husband elected to County Attorney-all without arousing her family's suspicion. Worse yet, it seems the dead demon didn't come alone...

It's time for Kate Connor to go back to work.

Well. It wasn't Buffy. The writing starts off bad, but gradually gets better. It's supposed to be almost slapstick humor like maybe Meg Cabot or Janet Evanovich. I felt like she was trying way way too hard, the jokes had neon signs announcing them. This too gets better as the book goes on. And while I'm being honest, her 21-month old is way way more verbal than my (very verbal) 25 month old. And I knew the ending about halfway through. I do love the idea, I think the plot had potential, but it doesn't not inspire me to run out for the next in the series. Which is ok, cause thanks to my procrastinating on reading this one, paperbackswap.com has already sent me the next one! I managed to get the 3rd off my wishlist before acquiring it too.

This book is my 4th TBR Challenge book.

2 comments:

  1. I have this book at home. One of those that I bought on a whim. I liked the title!! Maybe I'll save it for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you summed up how I felt about it, too. Although I don't think I've put #2 on my wish list yet... More from sheer busyness with other stuff than anything else, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment! Whenever possible I reply to comments via email, so please leave an email address if you want a direct reply. Anonymous users, I'm sorry, but until you stop leaving spam, you can't comment.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP