Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Monday, December 06, 2010

Official Book Club Selection by Kathy Griffin

Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy GriffinI have to admit, I'm not the hugest fan of Kathy Griffin (not because she isn't funny, but because I'm just not into comedians) and I'm not a big reader of celebrity memoirs. So I'm not really sure why I picked Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin up at all, but it was there and I checked it out and found myself reading it. Crazy how that happens! I don't even remember seeing any other reviews of it in blogland.

Unlike most of the memoirs I read, where the author follows one thread or experiment through the book, this one is a straight up memoir of her life, from childhood until the present.  Griffin really presents herself as an unattractive dorky child. She lives with her parents until she is 28. Despite this, she also claims to have been very promiscious, sleeping with anyone she meets. Griffin works very hard to build a career in show business, long after most people would have given up. Her efforts seem to have finally paid off with My Life on the D-List. 

I was a fan of Suddenly Susan when it was on the air, and I think that was really my only exposure to Griffin prior to this book. I found myself reading it with a bit of distrust. I find it hard to believe that anyone would be so willing to put every detail in print like this, but the prevailance of reality shows argues against this. I find it hard to believe that things happened exactly as she claims and that she's so willing to name names and talk smack about other entertainers.

Overall, very lightweight, probably more entertaining if you care about comedy. Great for when your brain can't take anything else. It was pretty funny in places, as it should be, and the Reading Group Guide at the end is not to be missed.

Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin
Kathy Griffin
Ballantine Books
2009
348 pages

I am an Amazon Associate. As such, any purchase you make at Amazon.com after following a link from this blog will earn me a (tiny) percentage back as income. Thanks. All content copy write Books. Lists. Life. at http://bookslistslife.blogspot.com. If you're reading this post anywhere other than there, you are reading stolen content.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds entertaining, but I'm not sure it's for me - I find Griffin a little abrasive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember her from her Seinfeld days. I think she's quite funny but I don't think I could read an entire book about her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I find Griffin hysterically funny but other times I just can't believe how far she's willing to go for a laugh. I guess what it comes down to is that she worked really hard to "make it" and this is what it took to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment! Whenever possible I reply to comments via email, so please leave an email address if you want a direct reply. Anonymous users, I'm sorry, but until you stop leaving spam, you can't comment.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP