I did keep track of the titles (full list to follow) and so can tell you the following:
I read 73 books.
Of those 56 were Romance novels, 11 were Young Adult/Juvenile fiction, 4 were non-fiction and 2 were general fiction. I am not at all bothering by this as I feel like just reading anything was an accomplishment.
I read multiple books by the same author, including a handful of re-reads. The most popular authors were:
Nora Roberts at 8 titles, and 3 more written as JD Robb.
Tessa Dare with 6 titles.
Courtney Milan with 5 titles.
Jill Shavis with 5 titles.
Susan Mallery with 3 titles.
I discovered that while I do enjoy Shalvis' Lucky Harbor books and Mallery's Fool's Gold, that when I look over a years worth of books that none of them stand out. The titles are completely unmemorable and I can't remember if I even really loved them. I have to look up each one to remember then story, and then can tell you if it were great or not. This is great for in the moment, because I know I can pick one up and enjoy it, but not so great for the author overall, as I can't ever recommend an individual title. The same is true for the JD Robb In Death series.
I started reading almost exclusively e-books this year. I get two 15 minute breaks at work each day, and I look forward to those breaks more than is healthy. My job isn't hard or bad, but for those 15 minutes NO ONE AT ALL interrupts me and I can sit and read and it is lovely. I find that since I'm already carrying my iPad or Nook with me, I don't want the extra weight of a book too. Then when I get home I carry my phone or iPad around the house and just never seem to pick up paper books. I didn't purposely track this either, but my best estimate is that out of the 73 books, 17 of them were paper, and those were all read in the first half of the year. I read a lot of books from NetGalley this year, which allowed me to stay somewhat current with my reading, and I loved it.
I didn't take the time to really sit and ponder a best of list, instead choosing to go with reading over the list and jotting down titles as they jumped out as memorable. I discovered several authors this year that I really enjoy and since I read their books back to back it's really hard to choose a favorite. I can without reservation recommend Courtney Milan and Tessa Dare, and I really liked Anne Barton's book a lot, as well as the Carla Kelly ones I read.
After reviewing my reviews, I still can't pick a favorite so in no particular order but roughly the order I read them:
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. (WHY have I not read the next in the series??)
The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson (and really the second one as well)
Marrying the Royal Marine by Carla Kelly (Nearly perfect romance here.)
Any Duchess Will Do by Tessa Dare
The Duchess War and The Countess Conspiracy by Courtney Milan (TCC not yet reviewed, but soon.)
This Song Will Save your Life by Leila Sales
Louder Than Love by Jessica Topper
Once She Was Tempted by Anne Barton
The Conquest by Edith Layton
Sleigh Bells in the Snow by Sarah Morgan
His Uptown Girl by Liz Talley
My reading goal for 2014 is once again to read 52 books (yes, I have hit this easily the last two years. I don't make a goal in an effort to read MORE, my goal is just to read steadily, a book a week.) I'd like to read more than a handful off this list, and finish reading The Great Gatsby. If I were to pick a classic for this year, it would be Rebecca. I'd like to write at least a few sentence review of each book I read.
The complete list of books for 2013:
- The Other Side of Us by Sarah Mayberry
- Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
- Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
- Wild For the Sheriff by Kathleen O'Brien
- Zeus: King of the Gods by George O'Connor YA Graphic Novel
- Too Wicked to Wed by Cara Elliot
- The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson
- South Dakota Outlaws & Scofflaws by John Andrews, Bernie Hunhoff
- The Lady Most Willing by Julia Quinn, Eloisa James and Connie Brockway
- Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- A Good American by Alex George
- All He Ever Desired by Shannon Stacey
- Back to the Good Fortune Diner by Vicki Essex
- Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
- Marrying the Royal Marine by Carla Kelly
- The House on Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
- Marrying the Captain by Carla Kelly
- The Surgeon's Wife by Carla Kelly
- All He Ever Dreamed by Shannon Stacey
- The Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson
- A Week to be Wicked by Tessa Dare
- American Savage by Dan Savage
- A Lady by Midnight by Tessa Dare
- A Night to Surrender by Tessa Dare
- Any Duchess Will Do by Tessa Dare
- Beauty and the Blacksmith by Tessa Dare
- Once Upon a Winter's Eve by Tessa Dare
- The Duchess War by Courtney Milan
- The Governess Affair by Courtney Milan
- A Kiss for Midwinter by Courtney Milan
- The World's Strongest Librarian by Josh Harnagrane
- Undone by Shannon Richard
- It Had to Be You by Jill Shalvis
- The Heiress Effect by Courtney Milan
- This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales
- Dirty Little Secret by Jennifer Echols
- Big Sky Christmas by C.J. Carmichael
- A Most Devilish Rogue by Ashlyn MacNamara
- Dance Upon the Air by Nora Roberts
- Heaven and Earth by Nora Roberts
- A Weaver Beginning by Allison Leigh
- Always on my Mind by Jill Shalvis
- What Happens Between Friends by Beth Andrews
- His Christmas Sweetheart by Cathy McDavid
- Face the Fire by Nora Roberts
- Louder Than Love by Jessica Topper
- Always on My Mind by Jill Shalvis
- Vision in White by Nora Roberts
- Bed of Roses by Nora Roberts
- Savor the Moment by Nora Roberts
- Happily Ever After by Nora Roberts
- Dream Lake by Lisa Kleypas
- Love Overdue by Pamela Morsi
- To All the Rakes I've Loved Before by Anne Barton
- Once She Was Tempted by Anne Barton
- Christmas on 4th Street by Susan Mallery
- A Fool's Gold Christmas by Susan Mallery
- The Conquest by Edith Layton
- Treachery in Death by JD Robb
- New York to Dallas by JD Robb
- Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas
- Just One Kiss by Susan Mallery
- A Christmas to Remember by Jill Shalvis, etc.
- Sleigh Bells in the Snow by Sarah Morgan
- His Uptown Girl by Liz Talley
- Two of a Kind by Susan Mallery
- The Countess Conspiracy by Courtney Milan
- Once in a Lifetime by Jill Shalvis
- Dark Witch by Nora Roberts
- Celebrity in Death by JD Robb