Friday, September 11, 2015
1. Guys, I'm in a terrible weird reading slump. It's not that I'm reading bad or uninteresting books, but I just don't want to actually read! I've been trying to just go with it, and listen to podcasts and play my crazy addicting phone game ("1010!") and not let it get to me. I'm annoyed that I don't want to read, and yet, I'm just not reading. I'm blaming it on this being a very busy time of year for me, both with back to school, and a giant annually recurring work project.
2. This is particularly bad because my fledgling book club starts again next week and I have not read our book choice- Orphan #8. I haven't even started it.
3. I'm also reading a really fun (and funny) ARC of a book called The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss by Max Wirestone. It's got all the popculture references as well as some gaming talk that makes me all kind of nostalgic. It's endlessly entertaining and I have no fault with the book, but I still don't want to read.
4. So I'm listening to podcast after podcast instead. In the interest of full disclosure, I listened to enough podcasts last Monday ("I can listen to as many as I want so long as I am also cleaning house") that I could have listened to my entire book club book. But I didn't. I completely caught up on Undisclosed, Crime Writers On, Serial Dynasty, Books on the Nightstand, Dear Hank & John and the Readers. I have a big dent into Magic Lessons, and tested out a handful of Science Vs. I still have 465 unplayed podcasts on my phone, no risk of my ever catching up completely.
5. Yesterday, as a last ditch effort, I checked out the ebook of JD Robb's Obsession in Death. Robb always pulls me out of a slump. Now I just have to pick it up and read it....
What tricks do you have to end slump? Have you ever been in a position where you are reading good books but just didn't want to read?